All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have many brand-new techniques and clinical developments emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor doesn't know can harm you.
4. Request info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Find another one if your physician won't inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat various outcome. The best surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses here will most likely use better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the globe.